few months ago - you can read the review here although it was written based on a slightly older version than is available now. Since then it's popularity has risen greatly and therefore it's creator has decided to release an official expansion pack!
The Zenith Remnant will soon be available from both the friendly Arcen Games' site and ImpulseDriven. It's not totally finalised yet but here's a list of the things they're planning to get into the expansion:
* 80 to 100 new ships, including:
* At least 12 new ship classes with a variety of abilities.
* At least 6 massive "Golem" ships.
* At least 5 new "capturables" other than Golems.
* Several new ships for allowing players expanded ways to control fleets.
* At least 4 new map styles.
* At least 12 new AI Types.
* A new, neutral minor faction in the galaxy: the Zenith Aliens (NPCs).
* 30-40 minutes of new in-game music tracks.
* At least two universal new AI ship subsystems (like Astro Trains).
The new ships look pretty good and it should be interesting what impact these new features will have on current gameplay, although I expect they'll simply build on the "thousands of ships fighting at once" gameplay that has made AI War so popular so far.
If you're a fan of the game you've seriously go to check out the expansion site.